Film Comparison:
The first version stayed closer to the text, using that as the script as opposed to adapting it like the second version did. While this does keep the dialogue more similar to that in the book, the disadvantage is that it doesn’t develop the characters as well. So much of what we learn about the characters in the novel comes from Pip’s descriptions of them. However, obviously it’s not possible to have the descriptions in a film version. Therefore, I think it’s better to adapt the script to convey in dialogue what is usually said in Pip’s thoughts in the novel. So I thought the second version developed characters better by changing the dialogue. That being said, I liked how the first version kept the action the same as in the novel. The second version completely changed the encounter between the convict and Pip, and I found it confusing. That initial encounter, and how polite Pip is during it, speaks to his character. By taking out that encounter, they lost the chance to establish Pip as the endearing young boy from the beginning. I think if the two versions were combined, taking the script from the second and putting it with the action from the first, it would be perfect.
Reflection:
Having seen the film versions, I think I have a lot more sympathy for Pip. In particular, I thought the beginning of the second version, when Pip is running away from the convict, made me feel bad for the poor little boy with no parents scared of the criminal who was chasing him. My pity increased as his sister bullied him, and made him feel guilty for the fact that she’s had to raise him, as if that were his fault. Also, how bossy Mrs. Joe was in the first version made me appreciate that Joe has to put up with this grumpy woman every day. I think seeing the character, and having a vision of what he looks like and how young it is, makes you sympathize with him more because it humanizes him.

No comments:
Post a Comment