Thursday, November 12, 2009

Great Expectations Films

Jason Ngo
Both versions present the same material, but the main difference is that the order in which the events occurred were different. The first version was not produced by professionals and consequently, the actors' lines were identical to the novel. On the other hand, the second version presented the convict's actions in a flashback. Although this choice is unique, the director aimed to show that Pip's mind was in total chaos. Another similarity are the surroundings in which the films were filmed at. Although the first version clearly had a limited budget, the audience gets a feel that the environments are what Dickens inteded it to be, such as the graveyard and Pip's house.

Reflection
After watching both of these films, I have a new perception of Pip. In the first version, I had the impression that Pip was not worried about his meeting with the convict. On the contrary, Pip's meeting with the convict in the second version impacted his life to the point where he would have nightmares thinking about his encounter. Also, I had the feeling that the graveyard had a more sinister atmosphere after reading the text. However, the second version does not have that "spooky" atmosphere.

At first, I thought he would be younger and more innocent-like, but

No comments:

Post a Comment